NEW DELHI FOR FIRST TIMERS (LUTYEN’S NEW DELHI)
The capital city of India is best experienced in small doses. Long, complex itineraries can leave one weary and overwhelmed. The best way to set out is with a driving tour of New Delhi, designed by British architect Sir Edwin Lutyens 1911, covering 43 sq km.
Ideal Start time: 9:00 am, after breakfast
Duration: 4 hours
• Drive through Lutyen’s Bungalow Zone (LBZ), 25 sq km that was once the private residence of British architect Sir Edwin Lutyens.
• Drive past the Presidential Palace (Rashtrapati Bhavan), a 320-acre complex with a building of 340-rooms, surrounded by mag ical Mughal gardens.
• Drive by India Gate, originally called All-India War Memorial, dedicated to the troops of British India who died in wars fought between 1914 and 1919.
• National Museum: One of the largest museums in India. Established in 1949, it holds a variety of articles
ranging from pre-historic era to modern works of art.
• Parliament House or Sansad Bhavan is one of the most impressive buildings in Delhi.
Possible extension: Lodhi Gardens, Lunch (or Dinner, if this is an afternoon tour)
OLD DELHI BY CYCLE RICKSHAW
The bustling bylanes of old Delhi, founded as Shahjahanabad in 1639, when Shah Jahan, the Mughal emperor at the time, decided to shift the Mughal capital from Agra. It was once filled with mansions of nobles and members of the royal court, along with elegant mosques and gardens. Today, despite having become extremely crowded and dilapidated, there are some old havelis still standing among the spice and convenience market places, and old Delhi is symbolic memorial of the pre-British era.
Duration: 7 hours
• Get on a rickshaw and zip through the bylanes of what was once a forted city
• Get to visit some of the old Havelis (large homes of people of higher social standing)
• Stop by for a snack at a famous local food outlet, specializing in Parathas (India n breads), and another known for its Dahi Bhallas.
• Visit Asia’s largest wholsale spice market and get a great view into people’s lives
• Visit a two hundred year old perfumery
• Window-shop (or actually shop) silver jewelry, fabrics, pre-owned books, camera equipment.
SHOPPING TOUR OF DELHI
Delhi is a great place for not just designer clothes and home furnishing, but also a hub where you can source craft from surrounding towns that hold age old traditions in jute carpet weaving, blown glass, metal craft, fabric craft etc.
Ideal Start time: 10:30 am, after breakfast
Duration: 7 hours
Since this is a privately crafted program, a sample program will be proposed upon request. You may write to email@example.com with your interests, and we will come back to you with a proposed itinerary. Interest options include:
• Clothes street shopping (inexpensive to mid range)
• Western designer clothes (men / women)
• Western designer jewelry (precious / semi-precious)
• Indian designer clothes (men / women)
• Indian designer jewelry (precious / semi-precious)
• Personal accessories designer wear
• Home furnishing and household accessories